Sunday, September 11, 2011

Today

This past summer we had the opportunity to visit both the Pentagon Memorial and the field in Shanksville, Pennsylvania where Flight 93 went down.

And the questions came.

Some from my 13-year-old who had been too young to remember that dark day.

Most from my 6-year-old who was only beginning to learn about the events that changed the world so drastically just a mere 3 1/2 years before she was born..

At the Pentagon we sat side by side on the wall looking out over the benches, one for each victim, arranged by their age.


"Mommy," she said. "I'm sad about those people who died."
"Me too," I said.

In Pennsylvania, we stood hand in hand looking over the fence.


"Mommy," she said. "I'm glad those people stopped the bad men."
"Me too," I said.




"Mommy, I hope nobody forgets those people," she said as we walked away.
"No," I said, "Neither do I."

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I can't help but get weepy every time I read a 9/11 post. It is a day that will always live in perfect clarity in my mind. My heart goes out to every person who lost a loved one that fateful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sweet and powerful. It's so strange to remember what it was like before and after the attacks. I forget that so many kids don't really know this world before it happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber - Me too. Well said.

    Brenna - It is strange, although I was always thankful my oldest daughter was too young to be unaware of what was happening that day - I mean how do you reassure your child when you're scared too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple words, but they sum everything up. We talk about our experiences that day, but it all boils down to remembering and hoping it never happens again.

    Thanks for sharing the pictures - not sure I'll ever make it out to the PA site in my lifetime. It's worth seeing it as something other than the burning wreckage they played over and over agian.

    ReplyDelete