Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Them Voices in My Head


It's my first ever post for Alex J Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group. To join in, head over here.

Every time I write a blog post, an e-mail, a facebook update, and even a tweet, I get these annoying voices in my head. You're not good enough. Your writing sucks. Your blog sucks. Nobody cares. You're wasting your time.

Over and over on constant repeat in my brain, the voices speak. A buzz fills my ears, my stomach feels sick, and if I start listening to them, the voices will take over and I will freeze up. Then the blog post won't get written, the e-mail won't get sent, the tweet will never happens...

When I've listened to the voices, they've kept me from so many great things and opportunities. Groups, clubs, jobs, classes, activities, parties, friendships I could have made. They've stopped me from pursuing my writing dream sooner than I did. They've stolen precious time.

So I try to find ways to shut them off. I have yet to find the 'power off' button, but I do notice every time I post on the blog, query an agent, enter a contest, and/or share my work I fell like I just said, "take that," to the voices and for that brief moment...I win. And it gets a little easier each time.

I'm starting to think being confident doesn't mean you're not hearing the voices...it just means you're not listening.

So what about you? Do you hear the voices? And if so, how do you turn them off?

13 comments:

  1. I've also posted my very first Insecure Writer's Post.
    I think you've got it right when you say that the solution is to learn to ignore the persistent voices of self-doubt... very difficult, but worth a try! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure we ever turn those voices off and I really believe we all have them. The older I get the less I listen but I wish I had started that so much earlier. But you're right, the more you do in spite of them the better.
    Keep at it.
    Don't give up.
    HMG

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also a new member of the Insecure Writers. I get those voices too! And sometimes, after I've posted something, they'll get even louder. If they bother me too much I'll just take the post down. I figure my battered psyche can only move so fast.

    I think writing about the voices actually helps quiet them down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear those voices too! And I agree every time I accomplish something it's a great way to rub it in their face. And just so you have an even bigger affirmation, I truly loved this post and your blog is beautiful. The end :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely relate! Those voices are always clamoring to be heard in my own head.

    I love this line and will remember it -
    being confident doesn't mean you're not hearing the voices...it just means you're not listening.

    Welcome to the IWSG!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tell the voices I'm bust and I'll call them back (which I always do *sigh*)

    mood
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino
    The Funnily Enough

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear voices of my characters more than anything else. I will wake up in the middle of the night and start recording a conversation on my blackberry. My hubby thinks its nuts, but I think that's when my imagination gets creative. I'm free in my dreams, there are no boundaries and by transcribing them later on paper, my dreams do come true, in my stories :) So I do hear voices and they're ones I want others to hear as well, in my novels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to IWSG! Glad to have you. We must have been on the same wavelength, because my blog was also about the voices I hear. We cannot allow the negative voices to effect what we do. Do not listen. I tell mine to shut up and take a hike. Most of the time it works. ;) Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't found the switch for those evil voice yet either. Usually, I have to take a breath and just focus on one goal to achieve. I achieve it and show the voice wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tend to just plow forward no matter. A few times I faltered my writer friends encouraged me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Mish - I totally agree. Thanks for stopping by!

    @Karen - I am so hoping they keep getting softer. Nice to meet you too!

    @Heather - I wish I had started earlier too...I could be so further along on this journey. Thanks you!

    @Colleen - I get like that after posting something. I actually scheduled this one and all I could think on the way into work this morning is "I should have taken it down." Darn voices! Thanks for stopping by!

    @J.A. Thank you for your kind words!

    @Brianna Nice to meet you! Thanks for stopping by!

    @mooderino Yeah unfortunately I've done that too.

    @Marta I get those voices too. I love those voices!!! They are welcome to stay :)

    @Jessica You too...I think the voices must be working OT lately! Thanks for stopping by!

    @Patricia Good plan! Thanks for stopping by!

    @Susan You've got great friends! Way to keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard the voices. The Antimuse can be chased away with a delicate combination of rock music and icecream.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhh...hearing them right now! Such a great post, and you should definitely not listen to them because you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete