Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Re-reading My Childhood: Amanda (Sunfire Romance #1)

The majority of my childhood reading took place in the 1980s. I remember reading a lot of series...Sweet Valley Twins, Sweet Valley High, Silhouette First Love. Perhaps my most favorite series of books at the time were the Sunfire Romances put out by Scholastic. It was a group of 32 Young Adult novels centered around one girl, her love life, and a major event in history. The series is now out of print, but you still can find used copies on Amazon or eBay.

In a moment of extreme boredom or insanity (I think), I thought it would be fun to track down some of my favorite childhood books and re-read them once more to see if the magic I found in them 30 years ago is still there.

So here I go...



From back cover: Torn from her, she fought and loved her way across a savage new land. 1846 -- From Boston Nightly Balls to Independence, Missouri and on the the Oregon Trail.
With only a silk dress to protect her from the blazing frontier sun, Amanda fears she will die on the Oregon Trail. As the memories of Boston, the nightly balls, and Joseph fade, the hardships of life on the wagon train fill her days. Changing from a spoiled city girl to a strong young woman, Amanda finds drought and death, beauty and joy, and a love that will last forever.


by Candice F. Ransom
Published April 2, 1984 by Scholastic Paperbacks



What I Remember About this Book?
  • Amanda was the first Sunfire I recall ever reading—I think I received it as a birthday gift. Amanda was by far not my favorite of the series because I recall her being bratty and hard to relate to.


What I Think of The Book Now?
  • Wow, it's sooo yellow. It can't really be that long ago, can it?
  • Amanda was not quite the brat I remembered. Sure, she was spoiled and rude, but considering her age and circumstances who wouldn't be.
  • Amanda's story was more a 'coming of age' story than the romance I remember. While the journey on the Oregon Trail was full of loss, heartache, and hardship, Amanda's internal journey brought growth, friendship, and love.
  • I really enjoyed re-reading Amanda. More than I thought I would, and so much that I picked up the next book in the series, Susannah. The book was a perfect blend of romance and history (and I'm a sucker for both), and I'm hoping it will catch my daughter's interest.
  • The book brought back yet another nostalgic moment for me...
 

2 comments:

  1. Love Oregon trail!! sounds like a cute and fun book. I actually like the cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to school with a girl who is now 28 and still reads Sweet Valley High. And my 29-year-old sister still reads Babysitter Club. Some of those 80s oldies are just classics, I guess!

    ReplyDelete