Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Third Campaigner's Challenge

The Third Campaigner's challenge kicked off last week, and I definitely thought this was the toughest of the three. I almost didn't do it, but these have been so much fun, I thought I'd give it a whirl.



So, the challenge was...

Write a blog post in 300 words or less, excluding the title. The post can be in any format, whether flash fiction, non-fiction, humorous blog musings, poem, etc. The blog post should show:
  • that it’s morning,
  • that a man or a woman (or both) is at the beach
  • that the MC (main character) is bored
  • that something stinks behind where he/she is sitting
  • that something surprising happens.
Just for fun, see if you can involve all five senses AND include these random words: "synbatec," "wastopaneer," and "tacise." (NB. these words are completely made up and are not intended to have any meaning other than the one you give them).


And here is my entry (in a mere 157 words)...


Maye and Harold's Winter Vacation

“Another synbatec day, Harold,” Maye said as she leaned back on her elbows. A layer of sweat coated her puffy cheeks and grainy bits of sand crept into the generous folds of her skin.

“I think we both could use a bath. Don’t you agree?” Maye asked wrinkling her nose as she breathed in the now familiar sickly scent of salt, fish, and rotten sewage. “And maybe some wastopaneer for breakfast?”

Loud waves crashed ashore.

“No, no, Harold. I agree, although you could be more tacise about it.” Maye brushed a thin gray strand of hair off her cheek before flexing her feet and digging her toes into the hot sand. “You can wipe that smile off your face now. You were right. We should’ve gone to Vegas.”

Harold continued to smile from his faded and frayed blue lawn chair a few feet behind Maye. His empty eyes stared straight ahead from his pale frozen bloated body.



11 comments:

  1. Somehow I knew that guy was going to be dead. Mine is #56

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie! Your blog looks fantastic. :) Of course, your entry was pretty great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least Harold will get a nice tan...

    mood
    (now following)
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino
    no. 79

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creepy! I LOVE creepy!
    Mine is #25.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol! At least Maye will win all the arguments! Very creative! Good job! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! Vacation can be deadly, eh? Makes me wonder how he died--that's the next part. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep. Maye has a problem, I think. Though I would pick the beach over Vegas if given the choice (weird, I know). Excellent work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog layout! It's gorgeous. Also, I sort of knew he'd be dead (or else in her mind), but I loved the description of him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job Carrie, love the creep factor!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh I love it!! Very creepy but loved it!! Following along :)

    I'm entry #5

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a judge in the third campaigners challenge and you have moved into the second phase of judging! Big congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete