Friday, October 28, 2011

Crave by Melissa Darnell

Crave by Melissa Darnell

Book Blurb (from Goodreads):
Savannah Colbert has never known why she's so hated by the kids of the Clann. Nor can she deny her instinct to get close to Clann golden boy Tristan Coleman. Especially when she recovers from a strange illness and the attraction becomes nearly irresistible. It's as if he's a magnet, pulling her gaze, her thoughts, even her dreams. Her family has warned her to have nothing to do with him, or any members of the Clann. But when Tristan is suddenly everywhere she goes, Savannah fears she's destined to fail.

For years, Tristan has been forbidden to even speak to Savannah Colbert. Then Savannah disappears from school for a week and comes back…different, and suddenly he can't stay away. Boys seem intoxicated just from looking at her. His own family becomes stricter than ever. And Tristan has to fight his own urge to protect her, to be near her no matter the consequences….

Harlequin Teen
416 pages.

I have a confession. I picked up this book because the back blurb intrigued me not completely realizing what it was about. And then I got a few chapters in and the "V" word popped up and I nearly set it down. I was never a huge fan of vampires to begin with and they've sooo been overdone. I mean, can't we just put a stake in it already?

But I'm soooo glad I did not set this book down. Because it was awesome. It was a dash of Twilight, The Secret Circle, Evernight, and Romeo and Juliet. Once I got into it, I could not put the book down and found myself craving more long after I read the last page.

Quote I Loved:

"I understood then why humans have noses. So we can find each other to kiss in the dark."

Why you should read this book:
  • YA is full of brooding, mysterious, bad-boy heroes, but I've always been a fan of the sweet guy. And Tristan is a sweetheart.
  • Tristan's older sister Emily. She's wise, helpful, and kick-ass...and I'm a sucker for brother/sister relationships.
  • The parents. Maybe it's because I am one, but I always love to see the parents make appearance. I love it even more when you can see they love their children, but they are also real—warts and all.
  • A star-crossed love. This book isn't all vampires. Nope. Throw in some witches (actually lots of witches) and a long, long history of animosity between them, and two young lovers caught in the middle. Oooh yes, totally my kind of story.

I recommend this book even if you're sick of vampires. The beginning was on the slow side, but the middle and the ending more than make up for it.

I cannot wait for the sequel, The Covet, coming out in 2012.



3 comments:

  1. I was wondering what "V word" you were talking about :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Too funny! Now I've got to clean the diet coke off my monitor...

    ReplyDelete