Wednesday, August 31, 2011

BTR

So on Saturday the husband and I took the girls to a BTR concert at the State Fair.

BTR?

Big Time Rush. They are a boy band with a TV show on Nick. Imagine what you would get if you mated The Monkees with the Jonas Brothers...



Awww aren't they cute? The thousands of screeching girls on Saturday night sure thought so. I admit I like them too. Their TV Show is fun, their songs are catchy, and my daughters LUUVV them (and there are a lot worse things they could LUUVV).

But as they began to play, I noticed my 13-year-old glancing around in hesitation. Young girls all around us were standing and bouncing, hands flailing, jaws open wide as high-pitched screams pierced the air. My daughter stood awkwardly as she tried to shield the homemade T-shirt she had made with her crossed arms. The mom alarm in me immediately sensed the problem. She was easily the oldest girl in our row.

"Those girls over there have to be in high school," I said pointing a few rows down from us to a group in matching homemade T-Shirts dancing and singing along. I noticed her shoulders relax and it wasn't long before she was jumping along with the rest of them.

I couldn't help but think how much she is alike me. How often when it comes to writing I have a fabulous idea that I am ecstatic about only to let my eyes drift to those around me. I start comparing myself. They are younger than me. They are smarter than me. Their blogs are better. Their writing more polished. And like a deflating balloon the excitement and passion I had for my idea leaks out of me and my writing.

I don't want that. I want to be like the little boy in the row in front of us who was dressed to the nines and sang the words to every song, despite the rows and rows of girls surrounding him. I want to be like the little girl behind us who screamed over and over "I love you guys", even though the stage was too far away and the band would never hear her. I want to be like the dad who stood up and danced right along side his little girl while all the other parents sat in their seats.

I want to be me. To be excited and passionate and not give a hoot about what everybody around me is doing.

Whoever thought I could learn so much from a boy band concert?

BTR. Be Totally Real. That's my goal this week.

Happy Writing!







9 comments:

  1. This was a great post! My kids love BTR too, so I am subjected to listening to it. And the other day one of their songs was playing and I found myself singing along:
    Go on shake it up, what you got to lose? Go and make your luck with the life you choose.
    Damn, philosophy 101 via a boy band.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie - Too funny!

    ...if you want it all lay it on the line. It's the only life you've got so you got to live it big time.

    Yeah I get those songs stuck in my head all the time too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the post, it made me giggle! Can't say I've watched BTR, when it comes on my boys scream for me to change the channel to Spongebob Squarepants (to which I know all the songs and dialogue) Best Day Ever is my fav!

    Anyway...such a good point about not comparing your work to others. I find myself doing this on a daily basis, and then I just sit and stare at my WIP thinking I suck. It's such a hard lesson to learn.

    And by the way, I am so jealous of your thoughtful post right now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That post made me smile. I really appreciate everything you said. And I don't think it matters where you are in life – you still compare yourself to everyone. Oh – and you can tell your daughter I'm 23 and I like BTR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber - Ha ha. Best Day Ever rocks! Wasn't too long ago when Sponge Bob was popular around here too :)

    Brenna - Thanks! I'm sure my daughter will be happy to here that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right. There is some value in comparing ourselves with others if it helps us improve, but it can also be very counter-productive.
    It's also interesting the way kids naturally inherit all the flaws of their parents. I've certainly noticed it with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too true Carrie! As I've started my journey in writting, I've noticed one of my biggest blockers is myself. I often have to remind myself that I really don't care what other people think... I am doing this for me. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Carrie, I'm in your YA Campaign group. I have to say I never imagined I'd ever hear someone say they were inspired at a boy band concert, but what a great lesson. I'm the same way about never wanting to stand out - I hate the spotlight, even when it's a good thing. So I'm going to try to take this lesson to heart, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jocelyn,

    Nice to meet you! Yeah I can't say I ever thought I would learn something from a boy band. I guess it just goes to show you can learn something anywhere...LOL

    ReplyDelete