Monday, January 2, 2012

Hello 2012...

I spent December 31, 2011 the same way I spent December 31, 2010. At home in my pajamas eating homemade pizza and drinking cheap champagne while celebrating the demise of another year with my family, board games, and watching a ball drop.

It was almost like nothing had changed.

Almost...


A year ago...

I had not shared a single word of my writing with anybody.
I would have never shared on a public internet site...such as this blog.
Rejection would've destroyed me.
Nobody outside of my immediate family and my mother were aware of the 'writing thing'.
I referred to writing as 'the writing thing'.
I was afraid to do anything more than lurk on a writing message board, and forget online classes, writing groups, or conferences.
I would have never walked into a bookstore to buy a book about (gulp) writing.
I did not refer to myself a Writer.

365 days later, and not one thing on the above list is true anymore. With every word I wrote, every new obstacle I overcame, every hurtle I've jumped over the past year I've grown into the writer and person I am now. Braver, stronger, and even more persistant...and I like that. Sure, I still have a long long long way to go and so much to learn, but I'm looking forward to 2012 and the new challenges and experiences that lie ahead.

So Hello 2012...

8 comments:

  1. That's awesome! 2012 is going to be a great year for you. :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!! That growth and maturity is what will pull you through, and it's a real writer that keeps learning with each new challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for progress! :) Happy New Year, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was the same! If I told my last year's self that I was blogging and on social media--I think I would've laughed :)
    Happy new year Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea Carrie....but I already knew that you were awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally 2012 is here. wish you good luck and may all your desires come true

    Genetech

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Coleen Patrick Ha! Glad to know I'm not the only one :)
    @Amber Clites Thanks Amber! You are such a great CP and cheerleader and definitely one of the greatest things I got out of 'coming out of my shell' in 2011 :)

    @Gentech Thanks! Same to you!

    ReplyDelete