Monday, June 27, 2011

Feeling Spacey

So recently while working on polishing on my manuscript it has come to my attention that I used the space bar over 5000 more times than I should.


Nope not this space bar.

It all started back when I was 12.  The year I asked my parents for a typewriter for Christmas.


Ask and you shall receive
Okay truthfully it looked more like this..


I had grand visions for that typewriter. I was going to produce a masterpiece, a novel that publishers would be beating down the door for. I was going to be a child prodigy, an author by 13.

Instead I produced a lot of pages with the words "Chapter One" and nothing more.  I never finished a book on the darn thing. I don't think I ever made it to page two.

But I did learn to type on it. And I was taught every time a period is typed, it must be followed with two (that's right - 2) presses of the space bar.





Then a little birdy told me that rule had changed.  Now there is only one press of the space bar following a period.



I checked it out.

It's true.

Grammar Girl says so. Right here.

So tonight I spent 3 HOURS removing extra spaces at the end of each sentence. Truthfully, after about 2 hours and 45 minutes of fixing about 1200 of them manually, I realized that I could do a "Find and Replace" on ".  " for ". " 

Now back to editing the bigger stuff...



0 comments:

Post a Comment